Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Black Star Project presents Men II Boys

Last Friday, Cabrini Connections was invited by The Black Star Project to attend a mentoring fair to follow a screening of Men II Boys, a powerful documentary about Black Male identity that I was fortunate to see about a month prior. I set up in the basement of Saint Sabina Church as the film played in the main sanctuary. There were about 40 other programs present - youth organizations, mentoring programs, state agencies, etc. - a lot of whom I was able to meet before the fair started. I told them about the Tutor/Mentor Connection: the resources on our site, the program locator, and our upcoming conference in May. I hope they connect with us in the near future.

Once the film was over, hundreds of people poured down into the basement. It was a joy to see a mass of adults genuinely interested in helping young people. I had so many great conversations with community members who are looking to get involved as volunteers. Hopefully they commit to help a tutor/mentor program in their area.

This is not what you see on the news. This is not violence. This is love and hope and connections. I have faith that we can make a difference, but it depends on you. Please consider getting involved directly as a volunteer or donor or indirectly by pointing others to our web links. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment