Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Student Spotlight: Yahshua Caldwell

13-year-old Yahshua Caldwell is a 7th grader at Abraham Lincoln Elementary School. He attends tutoring on Thursday nights with his mentor, Anupam Basu. He says Cabrini Connections is “a place where I can go to talk to my mentor, or anyone, about problems I might have.” As for Nupe, “he’s pretty funny.” They have a similar sense of humor and he is good in subjects that Yahshua needs help with (mostly math).

His favorite subjects are social studies and gym: social studies because it’s fun; gym because it’s an easy A. His least favorite subject is language arts. “I learn,” he says, “but I’m bored. I wish it was more entertaining.” Yahshua certainly knows a thing or two about entertainment. Before tutoring, he can undoubtedly be found playing racing games online or watching comedy videos on YouTube.

As Yahshua thinks ahead to high school, he is excited to be one step closer to a career. He wants to be a musician when he grows up (he plays guitar), but if that doesn’t work out, he wants to be a mechanic. “People I know get free check-ups,” he says. Count me in! He also wants to be a part-time stuntman exclusively with cars. “You can do really amazing stuff, but it has to be perfect.” I’m sure that will be fun, but please be safe!

When he opens his own business, it will be called “Yahshua’s Florida Repair Shop.” He wants to move to Florida so he can sit back and relax on the beach during the summer. He has always lived in Chicago, and he likes it, except for the winter. His favorite places to go are the Museum of Science and Industry, The Field Museum, Navy Pier, and the riverwalk.

At Cabrini Connections, Yahshua is also a member of Video & Filmmakers Club, which he says is “amazing!” He has learned how to handle expensive equipment and how to conduct professional interviews. His next idea for a video is Cabrini Connections bloopers, so be careful not to trip or you might just end up on tape!

Lastly, Yahshua says he has a very colorful personality. “People may think I’m weird, but I have something that not many people have. I may be down once or twice, but I’m always going to be there.” That’s a great attitude to have, Yahshua. Congratulations on being in the spotlight!

No comments:

Post a Comment